NJ student charged with bomb threat hoax against high school
RARITAN TOWNSHIP — A high school student has been accused of being behind a bomb-threat hoax at Hunterdon Central Regional High School.
The high school was evacuated Tuesday morning after receiving the threat.
Hunterdon County Prosecutor Anthony P. Kearns III said Friday that a student was charged with third-degree creating false public alarm and terroristic threats and fourth-degree criminal mischief.
“Penalties for these offenses, besides possible detention, community service, and probation, could also include financial restitution for the cost of the police and emergency response to the threats," Kearns said in a statement. "Parents are financially responsible for the all these costs and the court could order restitution.”
“The Hunterdon County Prosecutor’s Office and the Raritan Township Police Department do not take any bomb threat or any other kind of threat at a school lightly. These incidents disrupt the educational process and are dangerous for the rest of the community. They will be aggressively investigated and those responsible will be prosecuted.”
The arrest is the latest in a string of recent charges against students and young adults accused of creating public panic with hoax threats.
Last month, authorities charged an 18-year-old from Hackensack with making online posts threatening to “shoot up” Livingston High School.
In June, a Kean University student was sentenced to 90 days in jail after admitting she faked death threats against black students.