A 9-year-old boy died of carbon monoxide poisoning inside his Linden home on Tuesday morning, authorities said.

Linden Police said a CO detector appeared not to be working when they arrived at a home on Passaic Avenue after a 45-year-old woman found her son and 10-year-old daughter unresponsive in a bedroom. High levels of carbon monoxide were detected by the fire department, according to police.

Police said the home's furnace may not have been properly venting fumes, and said the incident looks to be an accident.

Jeff Deminski's then-3-week-old-son, Atticus, had a close call with carbon monoxide poisoning late last year.

The boy was rushed to Trinitas Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, while the the girl was taken to Newark Beth Israel Hospital where she remains in extremely critical condition.

Police said their investigation into the incident continues.

"The entire Linden Public School community is deeply saddened by this tragedy," the district said in an announcement Tuesday afternoon. It said the student was in the third grade.

There will be grief counselors and support assistance on hand for the duration of the week, school officials said.

New Jersey 101.5's Jeff Deminski made an impassioned plea to the station's audience in October to check their CO detectors after a close call that could have cost his 3-week-old son his life.

Sign up for the NJ1015.com Newsletter

Get the best of NJ1015.com delivered to your inbox every day.