How to Get Help – Important New Jersey Hurricane Sandy Relief Information
If you or someone you know has been affected by Hurricane Sandy and is in need of help, there are several important local telephone numbers and websites for disaster relief in New Jersey.
RESOURCES FOR HELP IN NJ:
- If you are in need of help, but you are unsure of where to turn, dial 2-1-1 or visit nj211.org for a database of local resources.
- Only call 911 for serious emergencies and injuries. Residents are urged to call local police non-emergency phone numbers for other various needs, or simply dial 2-1-1.
- Several counties and municipalities have updated information on their websites and list important phone numbers including the non-emergency numbers. To find a complete list of New Jersey County and Municipal websites, click here.
- To report a power outage, call PSE&G’s Customer Service line: 1-800-436-PSEG (7734) . For the latest updates and information, and to contact PSEG directly through Social Media follow PSE&G on twitter: @PSEGdelivers . Check the PSE&G power outage map here. Get information about PSE&G's free ice and water distribution areas.
- Visit ready.nj.gov for the latest updates and alerts issued by the state and the NJOEM (New Jersey Office of Emergency Management).
- For transportation information including road and tunnel closures/ openings, dial 5-1-1 or visit 511nj.org.
- Click here to find a local Red Cross shelter near you.
- Residents and business owners who suffered damage due to Hurricane Sandy can begin applying for Federal Emergency Management Assistance (FEMA). To register go to www.disasterassistance.gov or call 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) between 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Saturday until further notice.
- Click here for the contact information from your local NJ county's New Jersey Office of Emergency Management Coordinator.
- Anyone interested in volunteering should call 1-800-JERSEY-7. Get more VOLUNTEER INFO here.
The back up numbers are 609-775-5236 and 908-303-0471 or you could send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Central Regional High School in Bayville: 732-269-1100 – Located at 509 Forest Hills Parkway Bayville, NJ 08721
Lacey Methodist Church in Lacey – Located on Rt 9 on Lacey Road: Volunteers are needed to help sort and organize items. Also need volunteers to help clean out homes in the area.
Nurses are needed in Manahawkin at the shelters, especially overnight. Nursing students are welcome.
Toms River Intermediate School and The Church of Grace & Peace at 1563 Old Freehold Rd in Toms River need volunteers to help Samaritan’s Purse. You can contact the church at 732-349-1550 and as for Brent Graybeal.
And of course you can always contact your local red cross. www.redcross.org/support/volunteer
- The Red Cross is accepting donations to help provide food, shelter, emotional support and other assistance for those suffering under the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Donate at Redcross.org or call 1-800-RED-CROSS. You can give $10 by texting the word REDCROSS to 90999.
- Follow the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy through news stories, photos, tips and more on the Hurricane Sandy page here at NJ1015.com, and text SANDY to 89000 for important updates.
If you are state, city, or emergency official with any local information for those in need of help, we ask that you please use the comments section below to post information.