LODI, N.J. (AP) -- A woman and her two teenage children jumped about eight feet off a roof and over a fence after a balloon sparked a fire in their Lodi home.

Norma Ramos had taken out the garbage when she closed the door and heard an explosion Thursday.

Fire Chief Adam Bene tells The Record newspaper electric wires above the house broke and ignited the front corner.

PSE&G spokeswoman Annette Hicks tells the newspaper the wires broke because a balloon got caught in them.

The three who escaped and a family of four living below them have been displaced.

No one was injured.

 

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)