JERSEY CITY — A 31-year-old man has been sentenced to two consecutive life terms in prison for fatally shooting two men in 2013, decapitating them, cutting off their hands and burying them in South Jersey.

Yusuf Ibrahim was sentenced Thursday by Superior Court Judge Mitzy Galis-Menendez to two consecutive life terms in state prison and an additional 48 years, to be served concurrently. The sentence stems from charges including desecration of human remains, theft, unlawful possession of a weapon and hindering apprehension, according to a statement from Attorney General Christopher S. Porrino.

Ibrahim, who was found guilty by a Hudson County jury on July 22, will not be eligible for parole for 127 ½ years.

According to the attorney general, Ibrahim murdered Hany Tawadros, 25, and Amgad Kinds, 27, on the morning of Feb. 5, 2013. The two men, who were living in Jersey City, were each shot once in the chest with a .38-caliber handgun while sitting inside Konds' white Mercedes C280.

According to prosecutors, Ibrahim, in an effort to hide the identifications of his victims, then cut off their heads and hands using a small drywall saw and scissors. Authorities say he also knocked out their teeth with a tire iron. Ibrahim then placed the decapitated, maimed bodies into the Mercedes, drove them to Buena Vista in Atlantic County, and disposed of them in a wooded area behind the home of a relative.

Before dumping the bodies, prosecutors say, he stole the victims' money and jewelry.

In a further attempt to hide evidence of the crime, police say Ibrahim drove the Mercedes to Philadelphia. He set the vehicle on fire and then abandoned it at a secluded location.

On Feb. 7, 2013, State Police detectives responded to the house on Harding Highway in Buena Vista where Ibrahim was staying, after receiving a report regarding suspicious activity. The wooded area behind the house was searched and a cadaver dog "located an area of disturbed dirt near the end of a trail extending from the back yard of the house into the woods," the attorney general said.

After obtaining a search warrant, investigators returned to the spot the following day and excavated the area, unearthing the victims' bodies. The cadaver dog then located their heads and hands about 40 yards away, Porrino said, with the saw, scissors and tire iron being discovered nearby.

Detectives then learned that police in Philadelphia had recovered Konds’ abandoned Mercedes, which also contained evidence of the murders. Police then tracked Ibrahim to a home in Bayonne, where he was arrested on Feb. 12, 2013, and initially held in Hudson County jail on more than $3.5 million bail.

Ibrahim already was serving a state prison sentence prior to the murder trial. His sentence stems from an armed robbery in Jersey City on Sept. 19, 2012, to which he pleaded guilty. Ibrahim admitted to shooting a man in the foot with a handgun, then pistol-whipping him and robbing his money and a cell phone. The attorney general said he also pleaded guilty to charges in connection with a Dec. 22, 2011, carjacking in Jersey City. On Jan. 8, 2015, Ibrahim was sentenced to 18 years in state prison.

“Justice for the victims and the safety of our citizens required that Ibrahim face a true life sentence without parole for the sickening murders he committed,” Porrino said. “This sentence delivers that justice by ensuring that Ibrahim will spend the rest of his days behind bars.”

Elie Honig, director of the Division of Criminal Justice said "a man capable of committing the atrocities he committed should never be free.”

Toniann Antonelli is a social content producer for NJ 101.5. She can be reached at, or on Twitter @ToniRadio1015.

More from New Jersey 101.5:

Sign up for the Newsletter

Get the best of delivered to your inbox every day.