Judi’s recipe for a low-carb ‘mock’ Mac & Cheese
You know when you're trying to eat low carb and there are some things you just miss so much that you wanna cry?
Well that's how I am about Mac & Cheese. I can never resist a good Mac & Cheese recipe but come on, 8 gazillion carbs!
I'm a huge fan of spaghetti squash but find that it really doesn't taste as much like spaghetti as people claim. However, in this recipe, there's enough cheesy goodness to make you feel like you really are eating honest-to-goodness pasta.
And even if not, it doesn't matter. It's so delicious you won't even care that you're eating a vegetable. And with about 8g of carbs for half cup serving, you can even treat yourself to an ENTIRE cup!
- 5 cups cooked spaghetti squash (that's about 2 small squashes)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 8 oz and 2 oz. cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds.
- 2 ways to cook:
- Pierce outside of Squash all over with fork Place squash on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 1 hour.
- Pierce Squash and Place both halves face down in microwave and cook for about 12- 15 minutes or until soft
- Separate the strands of squash with a fork and place in a medium bowl; discard shells.
- Heat butter and oil in large saucepan.
- Add onions and sauté till soft. Stir in flour. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continuously till dissolved. (About 2 min)
- Add milk and broth and continue stirring, raising heat to medium-high until boiling. It should become smooth and thick (if not, I cheat with a sprinkle of arrowroot or cornstarch)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat, add 8 oz. cheddar cheese and mix well until cheese is melted.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste
- Add cooked spaghetti squash to pot and mix well.
- Pour into a baking dish and sprinkle remaining cheddar and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake until golden 25 to 30 minutes.
More from New Jersey 101.5: