Judi shares recipe for a ‘healthier’ gluten-free Mac & Cheese
Since I'm a Mac & Cheese freak, but like to eat low carb, I recently posted a recipe for low carb "mac" using Spaghetti Squash instead of pasta.
But I have so many friends who are gluten-free, I didn't wanna leave them out!
So if you'd rather eat healthy carbs than the empty calories that are traditional macaroni, here's an alternative. And it's gluten free, too!
After many tries, I've found that this cheesy sauce is the one that compliments the "earthier" taste of the lentil-based pasta the best. And I use chickpea crumbs for a crunchy topping. You won't miss the Mac!
- About 1 1/2 boxes wow garden lentil pasta
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T cornstarch
- 2 c milk
- 1 c cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 t Dijon
- 1/2 lb cheddar
CRUMB TOPPING MIXTURE:
1/2 chickpea crumbs
1/4 tsp each Paprika Salt Onion powder & Garlic powder to taste
- Cook pasta according to box directions. Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat butter and oil.
- Sprinkle cornstarch in and whisk to make a roux.
- Stir constantly till light golden. (3-4 min)
Pour in milk and cream.
- Whisk constantly and raise heat to Med high and bring to low boil. Keep whisking and reduce to simmer till thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. (About 3 min)
- Add salt and pepper, mustard, and cheese (in a few batches, whisking each till melted)
- Remove from heat, add pasta to pot & coat.
- Put in buttered Pyrex sprinkle with crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 min till golden
More from New Jersey 101.5: