You're driving along and then it happens: BAM! You hit a pothole that damages your rim or even completely flattens your tire. How do you report it and get compensated for your damage?

A pothole on Eggerts Crossing Road in Ewing (Dan Alexander,Townsquare Media NJ)

Who you file for compensation with depends on what agency is responsible for maintaining your road.

The best first step is to  check the Department of Transportation's pothole form to find out if the road where you are reporting a pothole is theirs via a pull-down menu listing all of their roads. New Jersey's interstate highways and roads like Route 1, Route 55 and 206  are examples of roads the DOT maintains.

If your car was damaged on the New Jersey Turnpike or Garden State Parkway you'll need to complete their form. Those roads are maintained by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority.

Or, for a county road, like Route 571 or Route 519, call the appropriate number below Otherwise, you will need to contact the township or municipality.

County Phone Number
Atlantic 877.426.7623
Bergen 201.646.2811
Burlington 609.726.7300/609.265.5717
Cape May 609.465.1035


Cumberland 856.453.2192
Essex 973.239.3366 Extension 2220
Gloucester 800.768.4653
Hudson 201.915.1373 Extension 6975/78
Hunterdon 908.788.1178
Mercer 609.530.7510
Middlesex 732.940.3800
Monmouth 732.431.6550
Morris 973.285.6763
Ocean 732.929.2133
Passaic 973.881.4500
Salem 856.768.0453
Somerset 908-541-5021
Sussex 973.579.0430/973.579.0465
Union 908.789.3660
Warren 908.475.7984

Use the form below to tell us about the craters on the Jersey roads to give a heads up to your fellow drivers and possibly save them the indignity of hitting one of these potholes. If you can do it safely, take a picture of the pothole too to add to our Pothole Hall of Shame.