How to make herbed baby chicken with mushroom ‘cauliflower rice’
I made this amazing low carb chicken recipe tonight and they devoured it, so I'd feel guilty if I didn't share it. Since it uses cauliflower instead of rice, it's low carb, healthy and really delicious.
For those of you who haven't discovered cauliflower "rice" yet, you're gonna love me. It's available almost everywhere now in the freezer case and so much easier than doing it yourself. Interestingly, Trader Joe's has a 2 package limit at some stores since it's so popular they can't even keep it in stock!
If, however, you're a stickler for fresh, you can steam a fresh cauliflower and do it yourself, but why bother? Truffle oil adds a nice touch. (You can't really go by me though; I'm so obsessed, I'll eat breakfast cereal with truffle oil on it) but it's just as good without.
This recipe may look too complicated for a weeknight dinner, but don't be scared away by the long list of ingredients; it's made in one pan so it's pretty easy. On the other hand it's just as good for a special dinner, too. Enjoy!
- 1-1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 12 oz frozen riced cauliflower OR 1/2 head fresh cauliflower, steamed and chopped in food processor
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1-2 sprigs fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 T fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, snipped
- 3 Tbs white wine or cooking sherry
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T butter (or margarine/smart balance for dairy free)
- 1 T truffle oil (optional)
- 1/4 tsp each garlic and onion powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Salt and pepper chicken.
- Coat cast iron skillet or grill with 1 T olive oil.
- Heat skillet on Med and Brown chicken 2-3 minutes each side till golden.
- Add to pan: onions, butter (or margarine) thyme, oregano rosemary and basil and cook together with chicken, tossing mixture gently till onions are beginning to caramelize.
- Add 1/2 cup of stock and wine, bring to a boil and then simmer 5 min.
- Remove only chicken from pan and set aside.
- Move all other ingredients to one side of pan.
- Add 2 Tbs olive oil to an open area and saute garlic.
- Then add mushrooms, parsley, remaining stock, salt and pepper (and truffle oil) if using.
- Combine all ingredients together and cook on Med heat 5-6 min or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add riced cauliflower, onion and garlic powder and cook through, simmering 10-15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate chicken and serve warm on a bed of cauliflower mixture.
More from New Jersey 101.5: