Contact Us
Make My Homepage

Hampton House Explosion May Have Been Caused By Propane Leak

A house explosion in Hampton that claimed a woman’s life may have been caused by a propane leak.

Firefighters at house explosion in Hamptom
Firefighters at house explosion in Hamptom (NortheastBravest via Instagram)

The exact cause of the blast that leveled the home in Hunterdon County will not be known for weeks. Lt. Stephen Jones of the New Jersey State Police tells the Courier-Post that a preliminary investigation shows a propane leak from an inside appliance may be to blame.

The home’s owner, 70-year-old George Tulley, was at work when the explosion occurred Wednesday.

His son, Robert, tells the Courier News  his father allowed family and friends to stay in the house. The son tells the newspaper his father wasn’t aware that 53-year-old Deborah Smith was there and he believes it was  the first time she had stayed there in weeks.

“My father got a call at work that the house exploded, then he got here to find out Jesse was in it, he said. Neighbors told the Courier News Smith’s nickname was “Jesse” because of her personality that was similar to the cowboy.

She died in the basement despite efforts by neighbors to rescue her.Hunterdon County Prosecutor Anthony P. Kearns III said she was able to speak with neighbors who attemped to rescue her from the flames ”Their heroic acts, although unsuccessful, are a credit to these individuals and their community should be proud of them,” said Kearns.

A memorial service is being planned.

Family and friends say Tulley, who has lived in the home since 1983, was cared for by Smith when he was out of work with a broken foot.Tulley’s insurance company has arranged for temporary shelter.

It took firefighters from 12 area fire departments one hour to extinguish the blaze on Wednesday morning.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved)

 

Best of the Web


Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://nj1015.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on New Jersey 101.5 quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here.

Sign up for an account to comment, share your thoughts, and earn points to get great prizes.

Register on New Jersey 101.5 quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!