NEWARK — College officials and city police said the 40,000 students that attend classes in Newark are safe after a shooting that left a Freehold man dead. Update: NJIT has announced plans for a vigil Tuesday night.

NJIT said there was no imminent threat to the campus in the University Heights section of Newark following the shooting death of Joseph Micalizzi of Freehold early Monday morning.  It’s the second fatal robbery of a college student in Newark’s University Heights in less than two months.

“We will increase visibility in that area and on campus in general. But our force is highly visible to begin with,” NJIT spokeswomanLauren Ugorji told NorthJersey.com.

The Essex County Prosecutor's Office's investigation into the shooting continues.

NJ Advance Media cited unnamed police sources saying Micalizzi was shot in the head and hand after trying to fight off two intruders inside the TKE house. The fraternity house had been broken into before and several personal items had been stolen, police told the news oranization.

Newark Public Safety Director Anthony Ambrose met with Rutgers Police Chief Carmelo Huertas and NJIT Chief Joseph Marswillo to discuss crime in the area and said patrols would be increased in the area, according to NJ Advance Media.

NJIT said Micalizzi was a student at Brookdale Community College in Lincroft before transferring. He was a 2011 graduate of Howell High School.

"Everyone is heartbroken by the tragic loss of one of our family members," Freehold Regional High School District spokeswoman Rebecca Policastro said in a statement.

NJIT has announced a vigil for Micalizzi will be held at 7:30 p.m. on the school's Lower Green In the case of extremely inclement weather the gathering will move into the Campus Center (the food court dining area).

 

Sign up for the NJ1015.com Newsletter

Get the best of NJ1015.com delivered to your inbox every day.