Contact Us
Make My Homepage

FEMA Helps NJ Towns Recover From Disaster [POLL/AUDIO]

Superstorm Sandy threatened more than just homes. In addition to the many assistance programs available to help people recover from disasters, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) offers a helping hand to communities, county and state agencies and some private non-profit organizations that suffered storm and flooding damage.

Mario Tama, Getty Images

“We will be helping them not only for the cost they incurred not only with emergency services work, but also preparing all the broken and damaged public infrastructure” said Scott Sanders, a spokesman with FEMA.

For approved projects, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the eligible cost, and the remaining 25 percent will be divided between the state and local community or agency. These projects may include such things as debris removal, emergency protective services related to the storms and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities.

The latter category includes eligible schools, libraries and other public buildings, and repairing roads, bridges, water control facilities, utilities and recreational facilities.

“This will include building roads and bridges and power transmission lines, parks, schools, water and sewage treatment plants, its going to be a long term process” said Sanders.

Certain private non-profit organizations may qualify for assistance to restore certain types of facilities that include educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care and other facilities that provide essential government types of services.

“We will remain in the state until early next year, possibly until next summer to complete a lot of this restoration, these are long-term projects that will take awhile to rebuild in New Jersey.”


Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Best of NJ101.5

Recommended For You

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing VIP profile. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to using your original account information.

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

(Forgot your password?)

Not a member? Sign up here

Sign up for New Jersey Insiders quickly by connecting your Facebook account. It's just as secure and no password to remember!

Sign up to have exclusive New Jersey Insiders contests, events, coupons, presales, and much more delivered to you for FREE.