Exploding Bluetooth speaker starts small fire in NJ home
CLIFFSIDE PARK — When a woman's daughter came into her room telling saying her Bluetooth speaker was smoking, she said her initial instinct was that it was a joke.
According to NBC New York, Nichole Tatem quickly found out it was not. "I freaked out, like, what what are we gonna do with it," she said. Tatem said what she did was take the speaker into a stairwell in a bag where it caught fire. Before the fire department arrived she said she and her daughter had put out the fire with two buckets of water.
It was not clear which company manufactured the speaker. The NBC New York report identified the speaker as a possible JBL Pulse product, but officials did not report that it was branded as such and a spokesperson for the company said images of the speaker did not look like it was one of the company's products.
EDITOR'S NOTE: This story has been updated to reflect new information about the speaker's manufacturer.
More From New Jersey 101.5
Contact reporter Adam Hochron at 609-359-5326 or Adam.Hochron@townsquaremedia.com