Authorities are detaining an Edison teen charged with possessing a destructive device in his home.

The 16-year-old was released to a family member earlier this week causing concern among parents. But he was sent to the Middlesex County Juvenile Detention Center after a court hearing on Thursday. He'll remain there until a new hearing next Friday.

Edison Police Chief Thomas Bryan, who voiced his own concerns about the teen, told the Star Ledger, "I think the right thing is being done for everyone."

Police investigating recent bomb threats at Edison High School searched the boy's home. Officers said they found fireworks, shotgun shells and makeshift devices containing gun powder and fuses.

Authorities say there's no evidence linking him to the bomb threats and officials are not planning to file more serious charges.

His name has not been released because he's a juvenile.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved)