Christie Unveils 20 New School Construction Projects For 2012
Governor Chris Christie was in Hudson County today to announce the recommendation of 20 new school construction projects in 18 New Jersey towns.
Speaking at a news conference at Memorial High School in West New York, Christie said the projects would bring sound fiscal management and responsibility to to the state's long-troubled School Development Authority.
"Modern and durable schools that meet our children's needs and standards will be built in districts where the need is the greatest. The SDA will no longer build palaces in districts of the politically connected."
SDA CEO Mark Larkins says the 2012 portfolio recognizes school facilities that need the most help. "Over the past year, the SDA has established a cost effective approach to constructing SDA school facilities projects. In doing so, we are able to provide more facilities for more students utilizing our limited resources."
Eight of the capital projects represent a state investment of $675 million.
The 2012 Project Portfolio
- Gloucester City – Gloucester City Middle School
- Keansburg – Caruso Elementary School
- New Brunswick – Paul Robeson Community Elementary School
- Newark – Elliot Street Elementary School
- Newark – South Street Elementary School
- Passaic – Dayton Avenue Elementary School Campus
- Phillipsburg – Phillipsburg High School
- West New York – Memorial High School
Projects addressing high educational priority needs that require further discussions with the District:
- Elizabeth – Elementary School grade level
- Garfield – Elementary School grade level
- Harrison – Middle School grade level
- Millville – High School grade level
- Paterson – Elementary School grade level
- Perth Amboy – All grade levels
- Union City – Elementary School grade level
Projects that address serious facility deficiencies:
- Camden - Camden High School
- Hoboken – Thomas G. Connors Elementary School
- Orange – Cleveland Elementary School
- Orange – Orange High School
- Trenton – Trenton Central High School