Christie Announces Sandy Aid ‘Milestone’ [VIDEO/AUDIO]
As of Thursday, the administration had disbursed or committed $817 million — or more than 70 percent — of the $1.159 billion in housing aid sent to New Jersey by the federal government.
Funds have been going to those in need since May of last year.
“That’s $100 million a month that’s going out to folks,” Christie told a crowd in Manahawkin.
Still, the governor admitted everyone would like the process to move a bit quicker, as evidenced by recent hearings that featured testimony from residents who still have no real place to call home.
“While eclipsing $800 million is a significant accomplishment, the governor and I know there’s still a long way to go,” said New Jersey Department of Community Affairs Commissioner Richard Constable. “We will continue to tirelessly work to get even more housing recovery funds out the door so that we can reach more families who are still struggling in the aftermath of Sandy.”
Nearly three-quarters of the already-claimed funding went to low and moderate income residents affected by the storm.
“We’re finally rebuilding, and hopefully we’ll be home by the summer,” Beth Castrovilly of Beach Haven told Townsquare Media.
The Castrovilly family said grants from the state helped them with costs not covered by their insurance company.
New Jersey is in line for another $1.4 billion in federal aid, and the state will conduct public hearings on how that money will be spent.