Chicken thighs and spaghetti squash — Judi shares her easy low-carb recipe
Those of you who have been listening to me for any length of time know that I shun carbohydrates like the plague because one molecule of carbs equals 5 pounds of flab on me no matter how I try to avoid it. So from time to time I'm thrilled to share some of my favorite low-carb recipes with like-minded low-carbers.
The other night I threw together some of my favorite ingredients and even my husband agreed this meal was amazing and didn't lose any flavor just because it was low carb. I talked about it on the air, and some of you emailed asking for the recipe.. so what the heck? I'm happy to share!
Now spaghetti squash is not the lowest of the low carb vegetables, but it ain't a crime at about 7 g a cup. It's enough to make you feel like you're eating pasta and to be very fulfilled. This is not a complicated recipe (it kinda looks like a lot of ingredients but it's easy!) It's simple enough to make on any given weeknight, and it's tasty enough that nobody will complain about the fact that it's low-carb.
Plus I know it's squash, but it has the name spaghetti in it so somehow that just makes it taste even better. (I don't mix dairy products with chicken, so I sub margarine and nutritional yeast for butter and Parmesan cheese but you can feel free to use either!!)
- 4 chicken thighs with skin
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 16 oz pkg sliced mushrooms
- 5 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cups spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 chopped green or red peppers
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped green and kalamata olives
- 2 tbs Margarine (or butter)
- 1 tb nutritional yeast (or Parmesan cheese)
- 1 t chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, thyme, oregano 1/4 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Drizzle chicken thighs with 1 Tbs olive oil, season with salt, pepper, 1/4 t garlic powder, 1/4 t onion powder and 1/4 tsp paprika.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley and 1/2 cup of the onion over chicken and bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- While chicken bakes, cook the peppers and remaining 1/2 cup of the onion in 3 Tbs oil over medium heat till soft.
- Add garlic cook for a minute then add mushrooms and spinach than salt and pepper, White wine, margarine (or butter) chicken stock, and olives.
- Cook for five minutes on medium.
- Remove from fire and add squash to pan and drizzle the remaining 1 Tb olive oil on top and add the remaining garlic powder, and the basil, thyme, nutritional yeast (or Parmesan) and oregano and combine with veggies.
- When chicken is done, place squash mixture in a Dutch oven or Pyrex.
- Place chicken on top and pour the chicken juices all over.
- Cover and bake for 15-20 more minutes.
More from New Jersey 101.5: