Celebrity chef says Trump lawsuit against him is ‘without merit’
WASHINGTON (AP) — Celebrity chef Jose Andres has responded to a lawsuit filed by Donald Trump’s organization against Andres’ organization for backing out of a hotel project in Washington.
WTOP-FM reports that Andres says in a statement that Trump’s disparaging comments about Mexican immigrants mean it is no longer possible for the chef to run a planned Spanish restaurant at the Trump International Hotel. Andres says Trump’s statements are a breach and the lawsuit is “without merit.”
Andres announced last month that he would not open the restaurant, citing Trump’s comments. Andres is an immigrant from Spain.
The lawsuit, filed Friday in federal court in Washington, says Andres’ decision has already cost Trump’s organization millions of dollars. It says Andres is obligated to build a restaurant there and pay rent for 10 years.
(© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed)