‘Born in the U.S.A.’ Turns 30 [Video]
Hard to believe, but it’s true, the iconic Bruce Springsteen ‘Born in the U.S.A.‘ album was released 30 years ago last Wednesday June 4, 1984.
Of course “The Boss” had groundbreaking blockbuster albums before and after “Born in the U.S.A.”. I figured that I would pay homage to the album because in my book, 30 years is a milestone.
Here are a few little tidbits about the album:
- The title song was actually composed in 1981.
- It’s reported that an acoustic guitar demo of “Born in the U.S.A.” was recorded in Springsteen’s Colts Neck home on January 3, 1982.
- Chrysler Corporation offered Bruce a cool 12 million dollars to use the song for an advertising campaign. He turned down the offer. As a matter of fact, he has never sold a song for use on a commercial.
- The “Born in the U.S.A.” album was the first CD manufactured in the U.S. Previously, cds were made in Japan.
- The album sold 30 million copies. Seven of the twelve songs on the album became top 10 hits.
Here are the tracks.
“Born in the U.S.A.”
“Working on the Highway”
“I’m on Fire”
“I’m Goin’ Down”
“Dancing in the Dark”
Below is the music video for the album’s iconic title track.