Big Joe Henry Serves Up Nana’s Homemade Potato Salad – Memorial Day Secret Recipes
This recipe comes to you from Big Joe Henry. We’ve pried these secret recipes from the top chefs here at NJ101.5 to bring you their most guarded, family-favorite recipes for this Memorial Day. View the full recipe collection: NJ’s Best Recipes for Memorial Day.
NANA’S HOMEMADE POTATO SALAD
I adored my grandmother, and I had the pleasure of living with her for a lengthy period of time as I was growing up. My nana made a great potato salad, just outstanding! We had this potato salad at every major family function, especially in the summer.
It brings back so many great memories of those summer barbeques.
When I was in college she had moved in to our house so she shared this recipe and we made it together. I memorized the recipe because I loved it so much. I loved her so much as well. Here’s her recipe, enjoy it this summer.
- 3 pounds of Red Bliss potatoes, peeled and cubed (some of you may want to keep the peel on, that’s o.k.. It works fine on or off.)
- 2 ½ ribs of celery finely chopped (as small as you can)
- ½ large red onion, finely chopped (as small as you can)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (discard two of the yolks and finely chop the egg whites and set aside cooked yolk)
- 1 ¼ cup Hellman’s mayonnaise (I only use Hellman’s mayonnaise in all of my dishes that call for mayo. There is no other brand.)
- 1 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup of freshly chopped parsley for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT:
Boil potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain and if peeling potatoes, now is the time to peel them. Cube potatoes and add to a large bowl. While they are still warm add the vinegar. Mix well, let cool, keep covered in refrigerator for 1 hour minimum.
Once potatoes are cool, in a separate mixing bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar and egg yolk finely chopped.
In bowl with potatoes add the oil, celery, onion, egg whites and sugar. Mix in mayonnaise mixture in with potatoes. Add salt and pepper and stir well so that all the potatoes are covered with mayonnaise mixture.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Let the potato salad chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 ½ hours, preferably overnight, to let all those ingredients blend in nicely.