DIY Gift Ideas for this Holiday Season
The holidays can take a toll on your wallet. You want to get your loved ones nice gifts, but you can’t afford to spend all of your money on presents. Don’t worry, you don’t have to.
Here are some easy, do it yourself gift ideas for this holiday season:
1. Homemade candle in a jar — You’ll need wax (or old candles) that you can melt down, craft store wicks, a mason jar, and maybe some fragrance. Melt the wax using a double boiler. You can use bits of crayon to add color, or you can add fragrance. Once the wax is completely melted, carefully fill the jar, while supporting the wick in the center of the jar until the wax cools and solidifies. This can also be done using tea cups.
2. Hand-painted wine glasses — You’ll need wine glasses and glass paint, which can both be bought at a craft store for a low price. These are fun to make and allow for some creativity. You can personalize each one. You can also use other types of glasses.
3. Memory jar — This is the perfect sentimental gift. You can get friends and family to send you photos and memories, or come up with them on your own. Write each memory or print a picture on a small piece of paper. Fold them and fill the jar. Then you can decorate the exterior of the jar for an added touch.
4. Personalized calendar — You can use calendar blanks or templates and add photos to each month. Add in important dates, special notes or quotes. This is another gift that can be personalized for each recipient.
5. Recipe booklet — Create a booklet containing some of your favorite holiday recipes and accompany it with an assortment of samples for your friends and family to enjoy.
6. Santa’s Rein”beer” — Buy a six-pack of beer and decorate each bottle to look like one of Santa’s reindeer. Wrap brown pipe cleaners around the tops of the bottles, and twist smaller pieces around to make antlers. Then hot glue on googly eyes and red pom poms for noses. For someone underage, do the same thing using root beer!