Authorities say a southern New Jersey man was hospitalized after he was burned while trying to extinguish a garage fire at his residence.

David McNew, Getty Images

Fifty-one-year-old Robert Fennick suffered burns to his hands and feet in the blaze, which broke out around 12:20 a.m. Wednesday at his Berkeley home. When emergency crews arrived on scene, the garage was fully engulfed in flames.

Fennick was being taken to a hospital, but further details on his injuries were not disclosed.

Authorities tell the Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/18WGACP) that the fire has been ruled an accident.

The fire left the home uninhabitable. The American Red Cross helped Fennick's family find temporary housing.

 

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)