Another Overnight Bridge Project Starts Monday
First the Outerbridge Crossing is closed overnights and now the George Washington Bridge will have 3 lanes closed for a project starting Monday.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says it will need to close three lanes at a time in the same direction on the upper deck of the George Washington Bridge as part of a project that will rehabilitate the steel deck. Only one lane will be open in that direction.
The closures will occur only overnight between 11p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday through Thursday and 12 midnight - 8 a.m. early on Saturday morning. The Port Authority says it's expecting delays of 45 minutes to an hour. Truckers would be most affected since they are not allowed on the lower deck.
The closures will alternate between the eastbound and westbound sides through year's end.
Work Hours Starting Monday thru Labor Day
- Week 1 (8/5 to 8/10): 3-lane closure, Mon-Thur 11pm to 5am; Friday 12am to 8am. WESTBOUND
- Week 2 (8/12 to 8/17): 3-lane closure, Mon-Thur 11pm to 5am; Friday 12am to 8am. EASTBOUND
- Week 3 (8/19 to 8/24): 3-lane closure, Mon-Thur 10pm to 5am; Friday 11pm to 9am. EASTBOUND
- Week 4 (8/26 to 8/30): 3-lane closure, Mon-Thur 10pm to 5am; Friday 11pm to 9am. WESTBOUND (No closure on 8/30 due to Labor Day weekend)
- Week 5 – resume 9 PM weeknight and 10 PM Friday closures EASTBOUND (resume Tuesday night due to Labor Day weekend)
- Week 6 – resume 9 PM weeknight and 10 PM Friday closures WESTBOUND
Some 100 million vehicles cross the bridge each year.
A paving project on the Outerbridge Crossing began on July 9 closing the bridge overnights during weekdays.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.