HAMILTON (Mercer) — A township middle school was threatened via social media on Wednesday.

It was the second district to face a social media threat that day.

According to a letter sent to parents by principal Patricia Landolfi-Collins on Thursday morning, a "possible threat" was received against the Reynolds Middle School on Wednesday evening.

"Precautions have been taken to ensure the the security and safety of our school community for evening performances and the upcoming school days," the principal said

Parents were also notified via a robocall.

Acting Superintendent Sylvia Zircher said Thursday "an investigation by police and the district is ongoing."

A parent told New Jersey 101.5 she noticed an increased presence at the school's production of "Little Shop of Horrors" on Wednesday night. The same parent said all students were kept outside the building on Thursday morning before being allowed to enter.

A picture provided to New Jersey 101.5 shows a picture posted to the now-deleted Instagram account of youre_next_rms showing a hunting knife and an assault rifle with the message “Im going to end it all (sic)."

Elsewhere in the state Wednesday, three South Jersey high school students were arrested after being blamed for two lockdowns at Absegami High School in Galloway. Police and a bomb squad responded to the school after "suspicious pictures" that appeared to show the interior of the school. No weapons were found.

Not long after that, however, another student sent a group text “creating another false public alarm,” Galloway police said.

Last month, a 16-year-old girl was charged charged with making threats against Linden High School on Instagram. Authorities said the girl posted a picture of a rifle with an ominous message threatening to shoot up the school.

Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com.

More from New Jersey 101.5:

Sign up for the NJ1015.com Newsletter

Get the best of NJ1015.com delivered to your inbox every day.