UNION (Union County) — A teacher was exposed to acid at a Union County high school Wednesday morning.

Union Police spokesman Sgt.Giunta told New Jersey 101.5 about a gallon of acetic acid broke in a science lab, exposing one teacher, who was hospitalized as a precaution.

The 24 students in the classroom were examined by EMTs, while the rest of the students were taken to the school's auditorium. The Union County HazMat team responded to the incident along with Union fire and police.

Parents of the students were notified while  the school will have an early release at 11:30 a.m.

Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com.

Sign up for the NJ1015.com Newsletter

Get the best of NJ1015.com delivered to your inbox every day.