5 New Jersey things I’d hit Facebook’s ‘dislike’ button for
Here's something to "like" in an act of irony. Facebook is about to launch a "dislike" button.
In honor of this long overdue feature, here are five Jersey things that have my seal of disapproval.
- Rt. 287 - Talk about miserable. It doesn't matter whether you're driving north or south, you're going to get stuck in molasses-like traffic at some point. Need to pull off for a bathroom break? Forget about it. No rest stops here.
- Unrelenting ice storms - Winter is just around the corner, and while I love snow, I can't stand New Jersey's typical pattern of precipitate, melt, and repeat. Messy weather makes roads like 287 even more treacherous, especially when the DOT experiences salt shortages.
- Rutgers scandals - What a sad representation of my alma mater and our state. There's good and bad everywhere, but the poor conduct of a few students and staff members continues to tarnish the reputation of an otherwise reputable research institution.
- NJ Transit bus rides - While New Jersey abounds with ways to get around, this is my least favorite mode of transportation. Think grumpy drivers, smelly passengers, and the guy behind you who won't hang up his phone (despite everyone giving him the stink eye). I rather idle all my gas away and put extra miles on my car than pay to be stuck in traffic on a crammed bus.
- Negative stereotypes - I echo the sentiments of many Jersey residents before me when I say that we don't all "GTL," love Chris Christie, have thick accents, or live off the Parkway. We're much more like Epcot than a homogeneous urban enclave, and it's time for visitors to take a look past Newark Airport and MTV's Jersey Shore.
Kira Buxton is producer of The Jim Gearhart Show and a professional photographer-videographer. You can reach her by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.