2015 Asbury Park Zombie Walk: Everything you need to know
The Asbury Park Zombie Walk has been saved and the dead will walk the boardwalk on Saturday, October 10.
The event was postponed due to the heavy wind and rain on the original date of October 3.
Asbury Park Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Jacqueline Pappas told New Jersey 101.5 the event will be the same as it always has been with Zombie makeup available in the Carousel House on the south end of the boardwalk throughout the day. "The start of the walk is scheduled for 4 p.m. and at that point Jason (Meehan), the creator of the Zombie Walk, as he has every year from the top of the Paramount Theatre will call the Zombies to action and send them walking towards downtown" from Cookman Avenue to Main Street.
No registration is required to join the walk which has happened every year since 2008.The Walk set the Guinness record for the largest gathering of zombies in 2013 with 9,592.
Due to cost and time constraints, creator Jason Meehan decided to end the Walk and declared this year to be its last. However, John McGillion, owner of Johnny Mac's bar, bought the rights to the Walk and kept it in Asbury Park.
"Everyone was always expecting there would some type of event," said Pappas. "I think this is really great because the event is secure forever more" in Asbury Park.
The schedule for the day is as follows:
10 a.m - 4 p.m. - Zombie Spa Treatment, Carousel Hall
- Makeup artists will be available to be professionally made into a zombie for a cost.
10 a.m. 3 p.m. - Big Joe Live at Tim McLoone's Asbury Grille
- Big Joe Henry brings the big show to Tim McLoone's Asbury Grille located at 1200 Ocean Ave., from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
4 p.m. - The Walk Begins
- Zombies and ghouls will gather at the steps in front of the Paramount Theatre and Convention Hall to begin their lumber down the boardwalk towards downtown Asbury Park, ending at Merchant's Park. The end of the Walk is an additional block than in the past.
6 p.m. - The Walk Ends and the party begins
- The Walk ends and the music and festivities continue in downtown Asbury Park at Merchant's Park located at Goodman Avenue at Main Street and at Johnny Mac’s House of Spirits.
Where to park:
- Bangs Avenue parking garage and lots on 3rd Avenue, 4th Avenue and at the Carousel House.
- NJ Transit's Asbury Park station is located on Main Street across from Merchant's Park.
Matt Ryan contributed to this guide