12 people — including 4 cops — hospitalized as carbon monixide levels skyrocket
MOUNT OLIVE — Twelve people, including four police officers, were hospitalized following exposure to very high levels of carbon monoxide on Monday.
Police called to the home found eight people, several of them unconscious, in the large home on Fenimore Court around 7:30 p.m., according to Flanders Fire & Rescue Company No. 1 spokesman Doug Fenichel.
Firefighters measured levels of 1,600 part per million of carbon monoxide in the home; the usual level is zero. Levels above 200 are high enough to cause a light headache after a few hours. Levels around 1,600 are generally high enough to cause headache, nausea, and dizziness after just 20 minutes.
Fenichel said the source of the CO was still under investigation.
Two people were flown to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, which has specialized equipment for CO poisoning. The others were affected were taken to Morristown Memorial Hospital and Saint Clare’s Hospital in-Dover.
Fenichel did not disclose the name of anyone involved in the incident.
Firefighters from Budd Lake Fire Company, emergency medical personnel from Stanhope-Netcong First Aid, Chester First Aid, Roxbury Fire Department, Atlantic Ambulance and paramedics from Saint Clare’s Hospital all responded to the incident.
Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com.
More from New Jersey 101.5