11-year-old girl electrocuted in freak accident while swimming at Jersey Shore
TOMS RIVER — An 11-year-old girl died Saturday after getting electrocuted while swimming in a Jersey Shore lagoon.
The girl and two friends were swimming with an inflatable raft in Shelter Cove at a home on Tobago Avenue just after 8 p.m.when two of them touched the rail to a metal boat lift, according to Toms River Police. Police said electric current appeared to have energized the equipment causing the injury.
The adults at the home began performing CPR on the girl before police and Toms River EMS arrived. They took her to Community Medical Center in Toms River where she passed away.
The two other girls were checked over and were not injured.
Police said the girls were all wearing life jackets under adult supervision.
The incident remains under ivestigation by Toms River Police, the Ocean County Sheriff's Department and the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.
Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com.
More from New Jersey 101.5