10 easy (and new) ways to enjoy Jersey tomatoes
We are getting into the heart of beautiful and tasty Jersey tomato season.
We are famous for having the best tomatoes in the world. That much we all know. But have you run out of ways to prepare them?
We asked our listeners if they could help us come up with some new and exciting ways to eat the Jersey delicacy and they were very generous. Here are some of the best ideas we heard.
1. Tomato Parmesan - Like eggplant parm, use your regular recipe, breaking and frying tomato slices and then layering them with sauce and cheese and baking.
2. Fried tomatoes - A simple delicacy. Just bread tomatoes season with salt and pepper and fry till crisp.
3. Classic tomato sandwich - Your basic tomato sandwich. Just plop two or three tomato slices between two slices of wonder bread (yeah the white squishy non-nutritious kind), slather on some mayo, salt-and-pepper and you're good to go.
4. Easy baked tomato halves - Cut your tomatoes in half, sprinkle with some shredded (or grated) parmesan. Bake in the oven till golden and bubbly.
5. An easy-peasy tomato tart - Slice your tomatoes and put them on a greased pan or Pyrex. Cover with any cheese you like poor three beaten eggs over it all and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
6. Puff pastry hors d'oeuvres - Cut puff pastry into squares, place a slice of tomato on each, sprinkle with salt pepper olive oil and grated parmesan. Top with sprig of fresh basil and bake in the oven till golden.
7. Sweet and sour tomatoes - Sliced tomatoes thick, drizzle with apple cider vinegar and sprinkle with brown sugar. That's it no cook-- just yum.
8. Tomato Alfredo - Slice tomatoes, bread and fry and then top with Alfredo sauce. Woah.
9. Gravy topped tomatoes - Fry sliced tomatoes remove from pan pour off of the oil from pan drippings but then add a little milk, flour, salt and pepper to make a roux out of the rest of tomato drippings. Pour that tomato "gravy" over the fried tomatoes.
10. Tomato avocado salad - Cut tomatoes and avocados into large chunks and place in a bowl. Pour wishbone or good seasons Italian dressing over stir until creamy.
More from New Jersey 101.5: